Obesity, which causes many health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, neurological diseases and even cancer, also poses a great danger for the coronavirus that affects the whole world. While the duration of hospitalization of overweight and obese patients due to coronavirus increases, the risk of losing their life also increases. Memorial Ataşehir Hospital, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Assoc. Dr. Ferit Kerim Küçükler gave information about the relationship of overweight and obesity with coronavirus.
Obesity also affects coronavirus
Obesity is the increase in adipose tissue due to excessive calorie intake. As a result of today's eating habits and sedentary life, the frequency of obesity is gradually increasing. Turkey is about 35% of overweight, 35% are suffering from obesity. Not leaving the house due to the coronavirus epidemic can cause weight gain due to both the deterioration of eating habits and the inability to exercise. Being overweight is a risk factor for Covid-19. In obesity, the risk increases much more. Obesity patients have a higher rate of hospitalization and therefore a higher risk of dying. Impaired respiratory functions are seen in obesity. Findings such as decreased lung reserve volume and respiratory capacity are more common. The increase in the abdominal circumference further reduces the respiratory capacity by pressing the abdominal membrane in the lying position. For this reason, shortness of breath is more common in obesity patients. In addition, some inflammatory substances that have increased in the body in obesity may cause the clinical situation to aggravate because they are similar to the substances that increase during Covid -19 infection.
Your weight can leave you vulnerable
Some substances that increase blood coagulation are on the increase in obese patients. Similarly, since Covid-19 infection increases the factors that cause coagulation in the body, problems such as heart attack and stroke due to circulatory disorders are more common in patients. Obesity causes the body's immune response to weaken. Because organs where immune cells are produced, such as spleen, bone marrow and thymus, may lose function due to increased adipose tissue. The power of immune cells to fight microorganisms has also decreased. Conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, asthma and COPD are more common in obese patients. Most of these diseases are the same zamIt is now a risk factor for Covid-19.
Weight can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine
Obese people respond less to vaccines such as influenza, hepatitis and tetanus than normal people. Therefore, it can be expected that the effect of the Covid-19 vaccine will also be low. Cortisone used in the treatment of Covid-19 causes blood sugar to rise. This is even more important in obese patients with insulin resistance or diabetes.
To avoid obesity
- A healthy diet should be provided.
- Carbohydrate intake should be reduced and those with low glycemic index should be preferred.
- Vegetable and antioxidant foods such as orange, tangerine, kiwi, quince and pomegranate should be consumed in a balanced way.
- Whole grains, lean red and white meat, fish should be consumed at least 3 days a week. Even if sugar-free, artificial drinks and fruit juices should be avoided.
- Exercise should be made a part of daily life, and the habit of walking slowly and using stairs should be gained. Exercise also contributes to maintaining your sleep patterns and reducing stress. For this purpose, relaxation exercises and yoga can be done. An insufficient and poor quality sleep causes both increased insulin resistance and weakening of your immune system.
- Alcohol and smoking should be avoided.