The immune system must be strong in order to combat the disease caused by the Covid-19 virus, whose effect continues in full swing in the world and in our country. During this period, the way to increase body resistance is through a balanced diet with the right foods. Dyt from Memorial Kayseri Hospital Nutrition and Diet Department. Merve Sır offered healthy nutrition recommendations to individuals caught in coronavirus.
Natural foods should be preferred
After catching the coronavirus, each individual should pay close attention to their food and beverage regimen, regardless of whether they have symptoms or not. During the illness, all nutrients should be consumed in a balanced and regular way, and natural foods should be preferred. The immune system can be strengthened with a suitable diet, the same zamWeight control can also be achieved at the moment. Certain micro-values such as zinc, iron and vitamins A, C, D and E, which support the body's defense system, are abundant in foods. Vegetables and fruits have a high density of these nutrients and therefore should be consumed to strengthen the immune system. Especially vitamin D, which cannot be taken from foods at a sufficient level, is very important in this period. The vitamin D level in the body should be checked, and if there is a low level, necessary replacement therapy should be initiated. In order for the human body to fight against a virus whose effect is unknown, the focus should be on strengthening the immune system.
Take plenty of fluids against coronavirus
A nutrition program with milk and dairy products, meat and meat products, fruits, vegetables and legumes will strengthen the immune system. Intake of pastries made of sugar, rice, white flour and fast food should be limited. Those suffering from the disease during the weight loss process should not eat diets with very low calories and missing nutrients. There may be problems with nutrition, especially due to the loss of sense of taste and smell. Nutritional difficulties arise, especially due to the lack of sense of taste. During the disease process, all nutrients should be consumed in a balanced way and plenty of fluids should be taken. Water, which makes up about 60% of the body, is vital. Tea and coffee consumption, which prevents drinking water, should be limited and appropriate herbal teas should be preferred. In other words, caffeinated drinks with diuretic effects that provide fluid removal from the body should be consumed in a balanced way during the illness.
Foods containing micronutrients for immunity
- Vitamin A: Carrots, kale, peppers, spinach, tuna, and eggs.
- C vitamin: Citrus fruits, strawberry, mango, tomato.
- Vitamin D: Fish, meat, eggs, dairy products and mushrooms.
- Vitamin E: Hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds.
- Zinc: Oysters, offal, cheese, oatmeal and lentils.
- Iron: Meat, legumes, sesame seeds and millet.
Light exercise should be done during the illness
During the coronavirus treatment process, regular light exercises should be continued at home. Although muscle pain, which is an important symptom, occurs, light exercises to be done will also increase morale. Physical fatigue should be minimized during the illness and the time allocated for sleep should be increased. While sport activates the immune system, it also forces the body. The body is more susceptible to infections after strenuous exercise. In order not to be a victim of the open window effect, only light exercises should be done.
Recommendations for reducing the impact of the disease
- Eating too much with the thought that it will give strength to the body during this period is not the right approach. Each food group should be consumed properly.
- Meals should not be skipped during the day, healthy snacks should be preferred in between.
- Drink plenty of water during the illness. Fluid intake is especially important to remove toxins that accumulate in the body.
- During coronavirus treatment, fruits that strengthen the immune system such as lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine and kiwi should be consumed.
- Wet clothes should be changed frequently in order to eliminate the negative effect of sweating caused by fever. A warm shower to be taken, but not too much, will relax the body.
- At least 8 hours of sleep a day will strengthen the immune system. During the illness, 1-2 hour naps that will not affect night sleep during the day will be good.
- Alcohol that affects the immune system should not be consumed. Especially smoking that affects respiration should be avoided.
- The use of random vitamins and supplements should be avoided and a doctor should be consulted.