Bayezid Mosque (also known as Beyazıt Mosque and Beyazıd Mosque) Sultan II. A mosque built by Bayezid.
It is a structure among the early works of the Ottoman classical architecture. It is the main part of the complex, which is scattered around the district. It is not known exactly who the architect is, there are opinions that it was built by Architect Hayrettin, Architect Kemaleddin or Yakupşah bin Sultanşah. It is considered to be the oldest selatin mosque that preserves its originality in Istanbul. II. Bayezid's tomb is located in the mosque's tomb.
It was built by Sultan Bayezid Veli in the square called the Theodosius Forum in the Byzantine era, which is the largest square in the city. It was the second biggest selatin mosque built in the city after the conquest of Istanbul. Fatih Mosque, which is the first selatin mosque in the city, is considered to be the oldest selatin mosque in Istanbul since it has lost its originality. According to the inscription written by Sheikh Hamdullah at the door of the sentence, it was completed in five years between 1501-1506. According to Evliya Çelebi, the sultan himself made the first prayer on the opening day of the mosque.
It was damaged by the earthquake called “Little Apocalypse” in 1509 in Istanbul. It was Mimar Sinan who completed and strengthened the repair of the mosque, which was partially repaired after the earthquake, in the following years. It is known to strengthen the structure by building an arch inside the mosque in 1573.
In a fire in 1683, the minaret cones were damaged by igniting. In 1743, the cone was burned as a result of lightning striking one of the minarets.
A 16,78m diameter main dome sitting on four legs is supported by two half domes in the north and south. There are twenty windows in the main dome and seven windows in the half domes.
The mosque has a square-shaped narthex courtyard surrounded by 24 domed porches. The courtyard floor is marble and there is a fountain in the middle. Actually, the open-top fountain IV. Murat zamIt was covered by a dome that was placed on eight columns that were immediately erected around it. The courtyard pavement and the columns of the fountain were obtained by reworking the Byzantine material. Among the marbles of the courtyard are large red porphyry slabs.
The mosque, which has two tabhanas (wings) covered with five domes on the east and west, is considered the last example of buildings with tabhanas (winged). The wall between these sections, which was originally designed as a tabhane, and the mosque was removed later, so that the tabanas were included in the prayer area.
The minarets of the mosque, which have two stone minarets each with balconies, are not adjacent to the mosque but adjacent to the tabhanas on both sides of the mosque, so there is a distance of 79m. Of the minarets decorated with colored stones and kufic inscriptions, the one on the right side preserves its original decorations to a great extent, but the other has been repaired several times and loses its decoration and remains simpler. For this reason, the minaret on the right is considered as "the only example of the transition from Seljuk to Ottoman in Istanbul".
There is a doner kebab in the right corner of the harim. The mahfile, standing on 10 columns, is entered from outside by a staircase and door. On the mihrab side of the mosque, on the right and at the window level, there is the tomb of Sultan Bayezid built by his son Yavuz Sultan Selim. Again, the daughter of Selçuk Hatun lies in the tomb to the left of Yavuz Sultan Selim, and the tomb of Koca Mustafa Reşit Pasha is located here.