Pita with sherbet, one of the most popular dishes of Aksaray cuisine, has been protected by a geographical indication by the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office. Sherbet pita is a delicacy consisting of cheese dough combined with sherbet, consumed for breakfast or on special occasions. So, how to make sherbet pita? Here is Aksaray's registered flavor, sherbet pita recipe...
What is Sherbet Pita?
Sherbet pita is a type of pita unique to the Aksaray region. Sherbet pita was registered by the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office in 2011 and was added to the list of geographically indicated products. Sherbet pita is a dish that reflects the traditional culinary culture of Aksaray.
How to Make Sherbet Pita?
The ingredients needed to make sherbet pita are:
For the dough:
- 1 packet of fresh yeast
- 1,5 water glass of water
- 1 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 sweet spice salt
- flour as much as possible
- 1 cup unsalted curd
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup moldy cheese
For the above:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
For the syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 water glass of water
- 1 tablespoons of lemon juice
The steps to follow to make sherbet pita are as follows:
- Flour, sugar and water are mixed to knead the dough. Add salt and flour and knead until it reaches a non-sticky consistency. The dough is rested for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, the sherbet ingredient is boiled to a thick consistency and left to cool.
- Take pieces the size of a lemon from the rested dough. First, it is rolled into an oval with a rolling pin, then it is lengthened to two spans in length.
- The filling consisting of the cheese mixture is placed lengthwise and closed from both sides so that the cheeses are not visible.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees until golden brown.
- When it comes out of the oven, spread it with butter and cut it into 4 fingers wide.
- Sherbet is poured over it.
Sherbet pita is ready! Enjoy your meal! (This pita is consumed for breakfast in Aksaray.)