Muhammara Recipe: How to Make Tomato, Walnut and Spicy Sauce, an Indispensable Breakfast Sauce?
Muhammara is a delicious and practical accompaniment to breakfast tables. Muhammara, a tomato paste, walnut and spicy sauce, goes great with toast or cheese. You don't need a lot of ingredients to make muhammara. You can prepare muhammara with just a few simple steps and store it in the refrigerator. So how to make muhammara? What is Muhammara recipe, ingredients and preparation? Here are the tips and the most up-to-date information on making muhammara.
Ingredients for Muhammara
To make Muhammara, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
- 1 glass of tomato paste
- 1 cup pepper paste (sweet or hot)
- 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tea spoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili pepper or isot
- 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
How to Make Muhammara?
To make Muhammara, just follow these steps:
- Grind the walnuts in a food processor or mortar until large pieces remain. Peel the garlic and grate or crush it.
- Add tomato paste, pepper paste, olive oil, black pepper, cumin, chili pepper or isot, coriander and pomegranate syrup into a bowl. Mix well with a mixer or fork.
- Add bread crumbs or breadcrumbs and mix again. Make sure that the consistency is not too thick. You can add some water if necessary.
- Finally, add the walnuts and garlic and complete the mixing process.
- Place the muhammara on a serving plate and decorate it as you wish. You can use pomegranate seeds, parsley leaves, walnut pieces or olive oil.
- Let the muhammara rest in the refrigerator for a while and serve cold.
Things to Consider When Making Muhammara
You can follow the tips below to make muhammara more delicious:
- If your tomato paste is too salty, you can reduce the amount of salt or omit it at all.
- You can also use roasted red pepper instead of pepper paste. Thus, you get a more natural and aromatic taste.
- You can also use stale bread instead of bread crumbs. You can cut the bread into small pieces and put them through the food processor.
- Muhammara will have a better consistency if you keep it in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving.
- If you keep muhammara in a glass jar, it will stay fresh longer.