The biomedical engineer analyzes and solves problems in biology and medicine to improve the quality and effectiveness of patient care. It develops design systems and products such as artificial internal organs, artificial devices to replace body parts, and machines for diagnosing medical problems.
What Does a Biomedical Engineer Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
The work of a biomedical engineer spans many professional fields. Although their specialties are based in engineering and biology, they often design computer software to run complex tools such as three-dimensional x-ray machines; uses knowledge of chemistry and biology to develop new drug therapies; uses mathematics and statistics to build models to understand signals transmitted by the brain or heart. Although biomedical engineers have a wide scope of responsibility, their general job description can be grouped under the following headings;
- Educating clinicians and other staff on the correct use of equipment
- Working collaboratively with chemists and medical scientists to investigate engineering aspects of human and animal biological systems.
- To do the necessary research to solve clinical problems,
- Designing electrical circuits, software that drives medical equipment, or computer simulations to test new drugs
- Designing artificial body parts such as hip and knee joints,
- Developing the materials necessary to make spare body parts,
- Provide installation, adjustment, maintenance, repair or technical support for biomedical equipment.
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipment
What Education Is Required to Become a Biomedical Engineer?
In order to become a biomedical engineer, there is a requirement to graduate with a bachelor's degree from the 'Biomedical Engineering' department of universities.
Required Qualifications of a Biomedical Engineer
The qualifications that employers look for in biomedical engineers who can work in business areas such as hospitals, universities, research institutions, medical equipment manufacturers are as follows;
- Having creativity and technical ability to turn designs into products,
- Ability to analyze the needs of patients and customers in order to design appropriate solutions,
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate well and express oneself,
- mathematical competence,
- Having problem-solving skills to deal with complex systems,
- To provide teamwork and management,
- Approaching problems with an innovative perspective,
Biomedical Engineer Salaries 2022
As biomedical engineers progress in their careers, the positions they work and the average salaries they receive are the lowest 5.520 TL, the average 9.060 TL, the highest 17.690 TL.