geological engineer; collects and analyzes data to assist in the development of mining, engineering, petroleum, mining, groundwater and waste management projects or regional development. Plans and develops mapping programs. Conducts site selection studies of residential areas and engineering structures. It undertakes technical and scientific analyzes of rock, soil, groundwater and other conditions to determine the potential impact of major construction activities on sites.
What Does a Geological Engineer Do? What are their Duties and Responsibilities?
- Evaluate the suitability of soil, rock, water and other natural conditions prior to construction activity,
- Examine geological maps and aerial photographs to aid site selection.
- Preparing recommendations and reports on the layout of buildings, stability of slopes and embankments, possible effects of landslides and earthquakes,
- Evaluating findings or reports given by civil engineers,
- To produce solutions to the problems of land reclamation, water and air pollution and sustainability,
- Assisting in the preparation of construction plans and cost estimates, including material plans.
- Planning and managing mineral exploration, mining and feasibility studies,
- To take part in the processes of researching mineral deposits, determining the reserve status and operating,
- repairing faulty mining equipment,
- To make chemical analysis of fossils obtained from above and below ground,
- To ensure that the places where dams, airports, roads and railways will be built are selected according to the most suitable geological features,
- To research and operate geothermal energy resources,
- Drilling, taking samples, evaluating and reporting in laboratories.
How to Become a Geological Engineer?
In order to become a geological engineer, it is necessary to graduate with a bachelor's degree from the Geological Engineering Departments of universities, which provide four-year education.
Required Qualifications of a Geological Engineer
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and interpret data,
- To be able to analyze the field needs correctly and offer solutions,
- Having the ability to produce solutions,
- Demonstrate cooperation and teamwork skills,
- Being open to professional development and innovations,
- Demonstrate analytical thinking ability,
- Having technical skills
- Demonstrate strong communication skills,
- To exhibit careful and detailed approaches in their analysis.
Reserve Officer Salaries 2022
As they progress in their careers, the positions they work and the average salaries of those working in the position of Geological Engineer are the lowest 5.500 TL, the average 7.300 TL and the highest 12.210 TL.