Software engineering is a science that deals with software. As representatives of this science, software engineers examine the requirements, design and structure of the software to be created in line with the needs of the users, or they create the software using programming languages.
Software engineers, who are titled as the representative of this branch of science, commonly work with an end-user focus. Many software engineers create new software and new designs with end users in mind, or improve an existing software to solve end-user needs.
The programs used by our computers, smart devices, televisions and even our cars today are the result of the work of software science and software engineers. Thanks to software engineers, technology is made simple and practical by being reduced to the end user as well as competent and experts.
Software engineer What Does It Do, What Are Its Duties?
Software engineers interact with the people who will use the software and try to understand and analyze their needs. As a result of the analysis, it determines the most accurate application and first plans the backbone of the software.
It works with the programmers during the coding phase of the planned software. After the software is completed and presented to the user, it deals with the necessary trainings and problems that may occur during use.
Where Does a Software Engineer Work?
Graduates of software engineering can work in any sector where computer systems are used and developed. Banking, telecommunications, automotive, hospital, etc. sectors can be given as examples of sectors where a software engineer can work. Due to the small number of employees who have knowledge in the field of software engineering in the sector, it is easy to find a job.
Generally, the job fields of software engineers are; programming, testing, business analyst, database expertise and project management.
How to Become a Software Engineer
To become a software engineer, you need to take a 4-year education in the Software Engineering department of the Engineering and Computer Sciences Faculties. These trainings are also given in the software engineering graduate department.
- If you want to be a software engineer, there are some paths to follow.
- You must be a high school graduate first. Then, you have to take the university entrance exam, which is frequently changed in our country and is now called “TYT” and “AYT”.
- Since software engineering is a numerically-oriented profession, you must be successful in the numerical questions in the exam in order to win the "Software Engineering department".
- If you are successful in the exam, you can study the "Software engineering department" in a 4-year undergraduate program in many cities' universities.
- After successfully completing 4 years, you graduate as a "Software Engineer".
Those who successfully complete their education are given a "Software Engineering" undergraduate diploma and the title of "Software Engineer". In addition, he can work as a system analyst, system engineer, design engineer, web design and program specialist, information technology specialist, application programmer, data management.
What are the Software Engineer Job Opportunities?
Throughout the entire article, we have given you information about the software engineer. One of the parts that people who research about professions are most affected by is “job opportunities and opportunities”. We will give you the software engineer job opportunities and opportunities in items.
- They work as application staff and system engineers in institutions dealing with computer networks.
- They can work as application engineers in the defense industry.
- They can work as application engineers in institutions and organizations that produce electronic devices and tools.
- Apart from that, if you trust their own knowledge, you can open a special place and earn your own money.
- In addition, after you graduate, you can do a graduate school related to the department you are studying and pursue an academic career.
Software Engineer Salaries?
Software engineering salaries in government are not very flexible compared to the private sector. Similar to other engineering fields, engineers' earnings in government departments vary by degree. Salaries of software engineers working in the government also vary accordingly. In the table below, you can see the net salary of engineers working in the state at 1/4 degree. Accordingly, the net salary of a software engineer working in the state at 1/4 degree is 2022 TL for 11.440.
Software Engineering Salaries Abroad
There is a great need for software engineers abroad as well as in Turkey. For this reason, software engineering employment is high in many countries and the salary ranges are just as satisfactory. Net software engineer salaries in major countries are as follows, according to Glassdoor site data.
- US: $106.431/year
- Canada: K$58.000/year (Canadian dollars)
- United Kingdom: £44.659/year
- Germany: 58.250 €/year
- France: 42.000 €/year
- Australia: A$100.000/year (Australian dollars)
How Much Do Freelance Engineers Earn?
Software engineers can also earn very high incomes by working as freelancers. One of the biggest advantages of software engineering is that they can do their job wherever they are in the world. All they need is a computer. So much so that they can get jobs and work remotely anywhere, and the amount of income they earn from these jobs can be much more than software engineers working in the private sector or government. Freelancers can develop and sell mobile applications or earn advertising income by uploading them to market applications. In the same way, they can earn money by finding customers and creating a website.
In short, it is very easy for them to own their own business. Because the work done has no cost. The monthly earnings of freelance software engineers can vary between 5.000 TL and 100.000 TL, depending on the projects they can take during their working time.