Your child coughs, says he has a sore throat, and when you measure his temperature, it is constantly high… In this case, the first thing that comes to your mind may be the Covid -19 infection. However, it should not be forgotten that influenza and other upper tract infections are also seen in this season. Especially with the opening of schools, the most important concern of every family whose child shows signs of illness is Covid. So how do these two diseases differ from each other, what needs to be done for differential diagnosis, the importance of PCR test in this regard, and what precautions should families take regarding Covid and flu? From Memorial Şişli Hospital Pediatrics Department, Uz. Dr. Serap Sapmaz gave information about Covid-19 and flu symptoms in children. What are the symptoms of coronavirus in children? What are flu symptoms in children? Are flu and coronavirus symptoms similar in children? How to distinguish between Covid-19 and flu? Where do children get the coronavirus? Are children adversely affected by the coronavirus? Are children carriers of coronavirus? Do children transmit Covid-19? Should flu and coronavirus vaccines be given to children? How should children be protected from coronavirus?
Covid-19 virus can be seen in children as well as affecting all age groups. Especially with the start of face-to-face education, it should be kept in mind that Covid-19 can be seen in children. However, families can be confused because the symptoms of Covid-19 are similar to flu upper respiratory tract infections in children. In this case, to determine whether children have coronavirus or flu; Meeting with a pediatrician, performing a PCR test if necessary, and administering flu and Covid vaccines in line with the doctor's recommendations are of great importance in terms of preventing the spread of the disease.
What are the symptoms of coronavirus in children?
Symptoms of coronavirus in children can be listed as follows:
- Throat ache
- Runny nose - stuffy and cold
- Muscle pain
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Skin rashes
- Loss of taste and smell in the late period
What are flu symptoms in children?
Influenza infection is a respiratory illness caused by influenza A, B and C viruses, and its symptoms can be listed as follows:
- Sudden onset of high fever
- Muscle and joint pain
- Runny nose
- Nasal obstruction
- Throat ache
- Nausea and vomiting.
Are flu and coronavirus symptoms similar in children?
In coronavirus, some children may show symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections such as flu and cold. This can be confusing, especially in the autumn and winter months, when we frequently encounter upper respiratory tract infections. Because the symptoms of coronavirus are similar to the symptoms of other upper respiratory tract infections.
How to tell the difference between flu and Covid-19?
Flu and Covid-19 symptoms are similar. In the flu, the disease appears within 1 to 4 days if contact with a sick person, while the symptoms of Covid-19 may appear between 2 and 14 days after contact. Usually, Covid-19 symptoms can begin within 4-5 days, mostly with contact.
Ne zamshould i go to the doctor now?
In order to prevent the spread of infection and to protect our loved ones, it is appropriate for our children to be evaluated by a physician if they show symptoms as the schools continue education.
How to distinguish between Covid-19 and flu?
For differential diagnosis, PCR test, throat culture or screening test for influenza may be requested from children. If there is doubt about whether the children have caught the Covid infection and the child shows signs of illness, the PCR test can be applied by taking a practical swab from the nose and throat.
Where do children get the coronavirus?
It is known that viral infections such as flu, cold and Covid-19 are contagious in crowded environments, by standing unprotected. With face-to-face education, the easiest places of contamination can be educational institutions such as schools, kindergartens, services and public transport.
Are children adversely affected by the coronavirus?
Although it is said that children are not affected by these diseases in the early stages of the coronavirus, research has shown that children are also adversely affected by this disease.
Are children carriers of coronavirus?
Some children can be carriers without showing symptoms of the coronavirus.
Could a child with a fever have been infected with the Covid-19 virus?
Fever can develop in children for many reasons. This; It can be caused by flu, cold, tonsil infection as well as Covid-19. At this point, differential diagnosis is important.
Do children transmit Covid-19?
Children generally stand out as super contagious in respiratory tract infections such as flu and cold.
Should flu and coronavirus vaccines be given to children?
Flu and coronavirus vaccines are of great importance. Because flu vaccines protect children from the flu, they help reduce the complications of the flu. According to current data, it is recommended to apply the coronavirus vaccine to our children over the age of 12.
How should children be protected from coronavirus?
The basic measures to be taken to protect children from Covid-19 are the same as those taken to protect them from colds and upper respiratory tract infections. For this, hands should be washed frequently and correctly, one should not be in a closed environment without a mask, and social distance should be observed. Indoor environments should be ventilated by opening the windows.
Is nutrition effective on coronavirus?
It is beneficial to consume fresh vegetables and fruits in order to strengthen the immune system to protect against coronavirus. Plenty of fluids should be taken, children should be dressed according to the season, and regular sleep should be given importance. It is also important that the child is away from a sedentary life and is directed to physical activities as much as possible.
Is sleep effective in preventing coronavirus?
The child's sleep duration and quality should be reviewed. Children should be provided with regular sleep. This is among the preventive measures in terms of both coronavirus and other diseases.
15 basic ways to protect children from coronavirus and upper respiratory infections
In general, what can be done to protect children can be listed as follows:
- Teach them to wash their hands properly and well. Children should wash their hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Classrooms should be ventilated frequently, windows should be kept open if possible.
- They should be encouraged to go out into the open air during recess.
- It should be explained that hands should be cleaned by using disinfectant or cologne containing at least 60 percent alcohol from time to time during the day.
- Children who appear sick should be taught to be avoided.
- In schools, it should be ensured that materials such as door handles, wood erasers, desks are properly disinfected. Children should be told to wash their hands when touching the points that everyone touches.
- It should be taught to avoid crowded spots.
- Maximum 2 hours in indoor environments such as shopping malls. zammust pass the time.
- It should be explained that children should wear masks in closed places and in public places.
- Children should be taught not to touch their eyes, nose and mouth with their hands. In case of itching without hand washing, it is recommended to scratch with the back of the hand, not with the fingertips and nails.
- They sneeze and cough zamChildren should be warned that at any moment they should cough into a napkin and throw that napkin in the trash. If a napkin is not available, cough and sneeze into the elbow.
- Children showing signs of illness should not be sent to school.
- Children showing signs of illness should be taken to a pediatrician and differential diagnosis should be made.
- If their masks get wet, they should be told to change them. They should also be warned to change masks every 4 hours.
- Childhood vaccinations should be completed.