Dentist Burcu Cebeci Yıldızhan gave information about the subject. It is unique to the person such as tooth color, eye color and hair color. The ratio of the elements contained in the tooth to each other determines the color of the tooth. Enamel surface has a small perforated structure that cannot be seen with the naked eye. Therefore, the natural color of the tooth zamIt may change in a moment by being affected by external factors.
- The biggest factor that causes yellowing of teeth is smoking and tobacco use. Nicotine and tar in tobacco contain chemicals that can cause yellowing of the teeth.
- Another important reason for yellowing teeth is food and drink. Heavy consumption of products such as coffee, tea, cola with high content of sugar and acid causes yellowing of the teeth.
- Inadequate dental care and neglecting the use of dental floss causes stain production on the teeth. Thus, the plaque accumulated in the teeth causes tooth discoloration.
- Although it benefits teeth by preventing tooth decay, fluorescence (toothpaste, drinking water) caused by excessive amounts of fluoride can cause stains on the teeth.
- Due to genetic reasons, a persistent jaundice can be seen in the teeth. Tooth layer with advancing age zamIt becomes thinner and causes yellowing of the teeth.
How Long Does The Teeth Whitening Effect Last?
The effect of tooth whitening usually varies between 1-2 years. If you do not smoke heavily and do not consume too much foods that will color the teeth, this period will be longer.
In addition, if the whitening procedure performed in the clinic is supported by the whitening procedure performed at home every 3-6 months, the period can be extended.
Can Every Patient Apply Whitening?
Whitening agents are materials that are effective on the top layer of the tooth, the enamel, and do not damage the enamel. If, for any reason, the tissue under the enamel, called dentin, has been exposed in the tooth, this area should either be covered with filling or isolated by the physician.
Whitening agent should never be applied to dentin tissue. When the patient notices the eroded enamel tissue and the emerging dentin zamis not possible at the moment. If the patient uses bleaching products in the market without consulting the physician and the dentin is exposed, he may face with tooth sensitivity that does not go away.
For this reason, whitening agents should be used under the control of the dentist.
After bleaching, it is beneficial to stay away from foods that can color the teeth such as tea, coffee, cigarettes, red wine, cherry juice. Paying attention to general oral care will also prevent recurrence of discolorations.