Dietitian and Life Coach Tuğba Yaprak gave information on the subject. What is reflux? How does reflux occur? What are the symptoms of reflux? How is reflux treated? How do we prevent reflux? Foods that are good for reflux.
What is reflux?
It is a health problem that occurs when stomach acid escapes back into the esophagus with burning, indigestion and heartburn after meals.
How does reflux occur?
It occurs when the acidic contents of the stomach cause a burning sensation and damage the esophagus. There is a cap-like structure at the lower end of the esophagus called the esophagus. This structure prevents the acid secreted from the stomach from escaping back into the esophagus and keeps it in the stomach. In reflux, this valve structure loosens frequently and the acidic content in the stomach escapes into the esophagus. The consumption of excessively fatty and fried foods, excessive alcohol consumption, and frequent consumption of spicy foods trigger reflux.
What are the symptoms of reflux?
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Annoying sensation in the throat
- Chronic cough
- Bad breath is one of the most common symptoms of reflux.
How is reflux treated?
The first way to be applied in treatment is to make changes in lifestyle. Today, many individuals can keep reflux under control by changing their eating habits, increasing their daily activity level, cutting off eating up to 3 hours before bedtime, and avoiding stress.
How do we prevent reflux?
- You should reduce the contents of the meals you consume during the day. Take care to chew your food well.
- In order not to inflate the stomach too much, try to make your fluid consumption at snacks.
- You should use a high pillow while sleeping at night.
- You should take care to eat less and less frequently.
- You should add less oil to your meals and avoid the consumption of fried foods.
- Attention should be paid to caffeine intake during the day. The consumption of foods with high caffeine content such as chocolate and coffee should be limited.
- You should avoid smoking.
- You should avoid stress.
- If you are overweight, you should reach your ideal weight by eating healthy and exercising.
- You should not wear tight clothing too often.
- You should stop eating 2-2.5 hours before going to sleep.
- Try to avoid consuming very hot and very cold foods and liquids.
Foods that are good for reflux?
- Fibrous foods that do not strain the digestive system are foods that are good for reflux. Foods such as oats, green beans, green leafy vegetables, asparagus, and broccoli are examples of these. Its low fat and high fiber content reduces stomach acid and alleviates reflux.
- As acidic fruits increase reflux symptoms in fruit consumption, instead of citrus fruits, oranges, grapefruit and tangerine-like fruits; Foods such as melon, banana, apple, peach and pear should be preferred.
- In meat consumption, low-fat or lean meats should be preferred instead of fried or fatty meats by grilling, steaming or boiling.
- In fat preferences, the intake of saturated and trans fats should be reduced and healthy fats such as avocado, walnut, almond or olive oil should be preferred.
- Take care of your consumption of light tea, herbal teas and water.
- If milk causes gas and bloating, you can drink kefir. If you have a lactose sensitivity, you can use lactose-free milk and dairy products.