Haydarpaşa Train Station is the old main train station of TCDD, located in the Anatolian side of Istanbul, in the Kadıköy district. It was put into service in 1908 as the starting station of the Baghdad Railway line. Today, TCDD hosts the 1st Regional Directorate. The station was closed to train services on 19 June 2013. It was the starting point of the Istanbul-Haydarpaşa-Ankara railway when it was in service.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station History
Ottoman sultan of the period II. Its construction began on May 30, 1906 during the reign of Abdülhamid, and it was put into service on 19 August 1908. According to a rumor, III. It was named after Haydar Pasha, one of Selim's pashas. The construction of the building was carried out by a German company called Anadolu Baghdad. In addition, a breakwater was built in front of the station with the initiative of a German, and facilities were built for the function of loading and unloading the commercial goods of the wagons coming from or going to Anatolia.
The project, prepared by two German architects Otto Ritter and Helmuth Cuno, came into effect and German masters and Italian stone masters worked together in the construction of the station.
Haydarpaşa Station Sabotage
Perhaps one of the most striking but unfortunately bad memories in the history of Haydarpaşa Train Station is the sabotage organized by a British spy on September 6, 1917 during the First World War. As a result of the sabotage of the British spy while the ammunition was loaded with cranes to the wagons waiting for the Garda; The ammunition of the trains stored in the building, waiting at the station and about to enter the station exploded and an unprecedented fire started. Hundreds of soldiers on the trains suffered greatly from this explosion and the fire that broke out. A large part of Haydarpaşa Train Station was damaged by the fire that broke out. The reconstructed building took its present shape. This explosion, which took place 103 years ago, directly affected the defense of Jerusalem with the explosion and destruction of the warehouses full of weapons, ammunition and military materials coming from Germany to be sent to the Palestinian front during the most critical days of the First World War.
In 1979, the lead stained glass of the building by the master named O Linneman was damaged due to the explosion and heat that occurred as a result of the collision of a tanker named Independenta with a ship off Haydarpaşa. It was repaired extensively in its original form in 1976 and at the end of 1983 the restoration of four exterior facades and two towers were completed.
28 The roof collapsed due to heavy fire on 2010 4 and XNUMX. solid has become unusable.
As part of the Ankara-Istanbul High Speed Train Project, train services were suspended as of February 1, 2012, due to the railway works in the Istanbul-Eskişehir section. The station was completely closed to train services on 19 June 2013.
Under the station, historical remains belonging to the ancient city of Khalkedon were found.
Roof Clock at Haydarpaşa Train Station
The clock on the roof of the station was completed with the building itself in 1908, unlike many similar roof and facade clocks in Anatolia. The clock on the baroque ornamented pediment consists of a circular dial. While the original movement of the watch is preserved, the Eastern Arabic numerals on the dial were replaced with the Arabic numerals with the Letter Revolution.