Istanbul Naval Museum, Turkey's maritime area is the largest museum collection it contains in terms of variety is one of the world's leading museums. There are approximately 20.000 works in his collection. Navy attached to the Istanbul Naval Museum is the first military museum established in Turkey.
Istanbul Naval Museum; In 1897, as a result of the orders of Hasan Hüsnü Pasha, the Minister of the Naval at the time, Miralay (Colonel) Hikmet Bey and Captain Süleyman Nutku, in a small building in Tersane-i Amire (Ottoman State Shipyard Kasımpaşa, Istanbul) “ Museum and Library Administration ”was established under the name.
It was not arranged before and was opened to the exhibition as a museum storage. Cemal Pasha, who became the Minister of the Navy in 1914, reformed the museum as well as in all branches of maritime, and brought Marine Captain Ali Sami Boyar to the directorate, allowing it to be reorganized scientifically. Boyar established a "ship model workshop" for the production of full and half models of Turkish ships and a "moulage-mannequin workshop" where mannequins were made, and laid the foundation for the development of museology and taking its present form.
II. With the start of the World War, the works were transferred to Anatolia for protection. At the end of the war, it was decided to move the museum back to Istanbul in 1946, and the museum was moved to the Dolmabahçe Mosque Complex, which was the most suitable place under the conditions of that day, and it was opened to visitors on September 27, 1948, after a two-year study under the administration of the new museum director Haluk Şehsyvaroğlu. In 1961, the museum was moved to its present location in Beşiktaş Pier Square, next to the monument and tomb of the Turkish Admiral, Captain-Derya Barbaros Hayreddin Pasha.
The main exhibition building has 3 floors and an area of 1500 m². 4 large halls and 17 rooms in the building were used as exhibition areas and the halls were named after the wind directions. In the museum, royal boats, navy uniforms, manuscripts, ship models, banners, maps and portolanes, paintings, monograms and crests, galleys, navigational instruments, ship head figures and weapons are exhibited. There is a section.
The museum, whose restoration was completed, was reopened on 4 October 2013.