About Sultan Ahmet Mosque


Sultan Ahmet Mosque or Sultânahmed Mosque was built between 1609 and 1617 by the Ottoman Sultan Ahmed I, on the historical peninsula in Istanbul, by Architect Sedefkâr Mehmed Ağa. It is called "Blue Mosque" by Europeans because the mosque is decorated with blue, green and white Iznik tiles and the interior of its half-domes and large domes are also decorated with blue-colored pencil works. After Hagia Sophia was converted from a mosque to a museum in 1935, it became the main mosque of Istanbul.

In fact, it is one of the biggest works in Istanbul with the Blue Mosque complex. This complex consists of a mosque, madrasahs, doner kebab pavilion, shops, Turkish baths, fountains, fountains, mausoleum, hospital, school, imaret room and rooms for rent. Some of these structures have not survived.

The most important aspect of the building that is noteworthy in terms of architecture and artistry is that it is decorated with more than 20.000 Iznik tiles. Traditional plant motifs in yellow and blue tones were used in the decorations of these tiles, and carried the building beyond just a place of worship. The mosque's worship section is 64 x 72 meters in size. The diameter of the 43-meter-high central dome is 23,5 meters. The interior of the mosque is illuminated by more than 200 colored glasses. His writings were written by Diyarbakır Seyyid Kasım Gubarî. It creates a complex of buildings with the surrounding structures and the Blue Mosque, the first mosque in Turkey with six minarets.

The design of the Sultan Ahmet Mosque is the peak of the 200-year synthesis of the Ottoman mosque architecture and Byzantine church architecture. In addition to containing some Byzantine inspirations from its neighbor Hagia Sophia, traditional Islamic architecture also outweighs and is considered the last major mosque of the classical period. The architect of the mosque succeeded in reflecting Architect Sedefkar Mehmet Ağa's “size, majesty and magnificence” ideas.

Except for the addition of small towers above the corner domes, the facade of the large front courtyard was built in the same style as the facade of the Süleymaniye Mosque. The courtyard is almost as wide as the mosque itself and is surrounded by a continuous arch. There are ablutions on both sides. The large hexagonal fountain in the middle remains small given the dimensions of the courtyard. The narrow monumental passage opening towards the courtyard differs architecturally from the arch. Its semi-dome is crowned with a smaller protruding dome and has a thin stalactite structure.

The interior of the mosque is decorated with more than 50 thousand tiles made of 20 different tulip patterns, with low level on each floor. While the tiles in the lower levels are traditional, the patterns of the tiles in the gallery are ostentatious and magnificent with flowers, fruits and cypress. More than 20 thousand tiles were produced in Iznik under the direction of the tile master Kasap Hacı and Barış Efendi from Cappadocia. Although the amount to be paid per tile is regulated by the sultan's order, the price of the tile zamunderstanding increased, as a result the quality of the tiles used zamhas decreased in the instant. Their color has faded and their polish has become dull. The tiles on the back balcony wall are recycled from the harem of the Topkapı Palace, which was damaged by the fire in 1574.

The higher parts of the interior are dominated by blue paint, but of low quality. More than 200 mixed stain patterned glass transmits natural light, today they are supported by chandeliers. The discovery that the use of ostrich eggs in chandeliers keeps spiders away has prevented the formation of spider webs. Most of the calligraphy decorations that contain words from the Quran zamIt was made by Seyid Kasım Gubari, the greatest calligrapher of the time. The floors are covered with carpets that are renewed as they age by helpful people. Many large windows give the feeling of a large and spacious environment. The opening windows on the ground floor are decorated with a flooring called "opus sectile". Each curved section has 5 windows, some of which are opaque. Each semi-dome has 14 windows and the central dome has 4 windows, 28 of which are blind. The colored glasses for the windows are a gift from the Venetian Signora to the sultan. Many of these colored glasses have today been replaced by modern versions of no artistic value.

The most important element inside the mosque is the mihrab, which is made of carved and carved marble. The adjacent walls are covered with ceramic tiles. But the large number of windows around it makes it less splendid. To the right of the altar is the richly decorated pulpit. The mosque was designed in such a way that everyone can hear the imam, even in the most crowded state.

Sultan Mahfili is in the southeast corner. It consists of a platform, two small recreation rooms and a porch, and the sultan's passage to his lodge in the southeast upper gallery. These rest rooms were built during the Janissary uprising in 1826.zambecame the headquarters of. Hünkar Mahfili was supported by 10 marble columns. It has its own mihrab, decorated with emeralds, roses and gilding and 100 pieces of Qur'an engraved with gilt.

Many lamps inside the mosque zamit was instantly covered with gold and other precious stones, as well as glass bowls that could contain ostrich eggs or crystal balls. All of these decors were either removed or plundered.

The names of the caliphs and parts of the Quran are written on the large tablets on the walls. These were originally made by the great 17th century calligrapher Kasım Gubari of Diyarbakır, but zamthey were removed to be restored at the time.

Sultan Ahmet Mosque is one of five mosques in Turkey with six minarets. The other 6 are İstanbul Çamlıca Mosque, Taşoluk New Mosque in İstanbul Arnavutköy, Sabancı Mosque in Adana and Muğdat Mosque in Mersin. When the number of minarets was revealed, the sultan was accused of arrogance because he zamThere are also 6 minarets in the Kaaba in Makkah. The Sultan solves this problem by building the seventh minaret in the mosque (Masjid Haram) in Mecca. 4 minarets are in the corners of the mosque. Each of these pencil-shaped minarets has 3 balconies. The other two minarets in the front courtyard have two balconies.

Near zamUntil now, the muezzin had to climb narrow spiral stairs 5 times a day, today a mass distribution system is implemented and the call to prayer, which is echoed by other mosques, is heard in the old parts of the city. The crowd of Turks and tourists gathered in the park and listen to the evening prayer at sunset, as the sun sets and the mosque is brightly illuminated by colored projectors.

During the period when the mosque was built, it was a place where the people at the Topkapı Palace worship on Fridays for a long time.

Be the first to comment

your comment