About Aya Yorgi Church

Subscribe  


Aya Yorgi Monastery is the monastery located in Büyükada. According to the information obtained from the Patriarchate records, the date of the construction of the Aya Yorgi Monastery is 1751. The little church, chapel and prayer place built on this date is known as the old church and it is a small two-storey building covered with tiles. The church, made of cut stone behind the bell tower on the hill, is the new Aya Yorgi Church and was built in 1905 and opened for use in 1909.

St. George Koudonas Monastery is located in Yüce Tepe, which is located in the southernmost of the two hills on the island. There is a road that reaches this monastery from the square in the middle of the island.

According to rumors, the monastery II. It was founded in 963 during the reign of Nicephorus (9-963). For the first time in history, this monastery is mentioned in the list prepared by Manuel Comnenus in 1158. The name Koudonas, which means "bells" in Greek, comes from the following story: While one day a shepherd grazes his flock on this hill, he hears bells from the depths of the ground. When he digs to see what happened, he finds a picture of St. George, who was later placed by himself and other locals at the site of the monastery. This story dates back to 1625, and it is likely that the monastery was rebuilt rather than first built. zamdescribes moments. Legend aside, Isaias, the first registered abbot of the monastery, started the construction of the current katholikon in 1752 and completed the main church of Blachernitissa seven years later, and also added many small rooms of the monastery. In the following half century, several additions were made by the abbots Anthemios and Arsenios. Meanwhile, some miracles, particularly those that serve to heal mental ailments and to save those "possessed by sinful souls" from the influence of these souls, have been attributed to St. George's painting.

The current facility consists of six separate churches and places of worship on three floors - older temples on lower floors. On the ground floor there is the house of the priest and the main church of St. George. Both structures were built in the early 20th century. On the southern inner wall of the church, there is an original icon of Hagios Georgios Koudonas, which is covered with silver today.

The room at the bottom of the stairs is a blessed room with a holy spring. This room, according to rumors, is the place where St. George's sacred image was dug up. Beyond this room is another temple dedicated to the Apostles.

On Saint George's Day, which is celebrated on April 23, thousands of pilgrims from all over the world - including Muslim Turks and people of other religions - set out on the monastic road. Many of them go up the hill barefoot to attend the dawn ritual. After the ritual, many of the pilgrims eat their lunch at the open-air restaurant at the top of the hill, celebrating the day that traditionally heralds the arrival of spring according to the old calendar. The restaurant serves simple meals and appetizers alongside its own unlabeled red wine. The top of the hill is surrounded by pine, cypress and many other trees, and especially the bells of the monastery are zamPlaying in the temple of the past zamAn environment resembling the Greek islands is formed at the moment. The view from the top of Yüce Tepe and including all the islands and the Asian shores of the Marmara Sea is magnificent.

Be the first to comment

your comment