Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits, signed in 1936 in Istanbul and Turkey and the international conventions that the right to regulate and control the passage of warships on the Dardanelles straits. The Convention gives Turkey full control over the Straits and the right to peace zaminstant guarantees the free passage of civilian ships The convention limits the passage of warships belonging to countries that have no Black Sea coast. The terms of the convention, particularly its granting of access to the Soviet Union Navy to the Mediterranean, has been a matter of debate for years. It replaced the Straits Convention, which was signed with the Lausanne Treaty in 1923.
Turkey, due to restrictions imposed by the Straits Agreement signed with the Lausanne Treaty had always been in concern. It preserves the freshness date of signing the contract in the hope of disarmament confident Turkey's increasing arms race of unrest that had heard the beginning again. Turkey, when you hear that this unrest and the Straits announce the status of the relevant signatory states proposed the amendments to the state began to take place in almost all of these different poles had seen a common understanding. British Foreign Ministry has issued the following opinion on the issue of a note on 23 July 1936: "Turkey's Straits Convention on replacing the request is considered justified."
With the status of the straits and the transit regime of the ships, zamwhen a close interest in the United Kingdom parallel Balkan Pact to support Turkey's Permanent Council decided to support Turkey's bid for 4 meetings in Belgrade in May 1936 was taken. Turkey's attempt Lausanne Straits Agreement by the other contracting're accepted by the Straits conference that will change the regime, were gathered in the Swiss town of Montreux on June 22, 1936. After the meeting the two-month period July 20, 1936 Bulgaria, France, Great Britain, Australia, Greece, Japan, Romania, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and signed by Turkey New Straits Agreement with Turkey's restricted rights have been returned and gorges of the sovereignty of Turkey ' passed to. Turkey in accordance with Soviet aggression pact with the Soviet Union before his Union were also support. The Convention entered into force on 9 November 1936 and was registered in the League of Nations Convention Series on 11 November 1936. It is in effect today.
Montreux Straits Convention Items
Transition Regime of Merchant Ships
- Peace zamThey will enjoy full freedom of passage and departure (transportation) through the Straits instantly, day and night, regardless of the flag and load, without any formalities - except health inspection.
- Savaş zamInstantly Turkey, not fighting the flag and charge whatever the Straits of transition and round-trip (transportation) shall enjoy freedom. Pilotage and tow (tug) remain optional.
- Savaş zamInstantly Turkey is at war, merchant ships are not connected to a country at war with Turkey, provided it does not help in any way with the enemy Straits crossing and round-trip (transportation) shall enjoy freedom.
These ships will enter the Straits during the day, and the crossing will be carried out every time by the Turkish authorities.
- if Turkey itself so close to the counting against the threat of a war threat, pass through the Straits and round-trip (transportation) will benefit from full freedom; however, the ships will have to enter the Straits during the day, and the passage will have to be carried out each time on the route indicated by the Turkish authorities. Guidance may be compulsory in one case; however, it will not be charged.
Sanctions to be Subjected to Warships and Transition Regime
1. Peace Zamsudden
- Black Sea littoral states, the submarine they buy or they make out of this sea, workbench puttin from or has given notice ahead of time to get used to sell to Turkey, will be entitled to pass through the straits to participate in the naval base. Such is the state of the submarines, provided detailed information to be given to Turkey ahead of time about it, these will be able to repair the benches outside the sea passing through the Straits. In both the first and the second case, the submarines will have to go over the water day and night and pass through the Straits alone.
- In order for warships to pass through the Straits, a preliminary notification will be required to the Turkish Government through diplomacy. The usual duration of this preliminary notification will be eight days, but for states without Black Sea coast, this period is fifteen days.
- The highest total tonnage of all foreign naval forces that can pass through the Straits will not exceed 15.000 tons.
- At any time, if the tonnage of the strongest navy (fleet) of the Black Sea exceeds the tonnage of the strongest navy (fleet) by at least 10.000 tons at the time of signing the contract, other riparian countries may increase the tonnage of the Black Sea navy to a maximum of 45.000 tonnes. To this end, each riparian State will inform the Turkish Government of the total tonnage of its fleet (fleet) in the Black Sea on 1 January and 1 July of each year; The Turkish Government will also share this information with other non-riparian states before the League of Nations.
- However, if one or more States that do not have a Black Sea coast want to send naval forces to this sea for a humanitarian purpose, the sum of this force cannot exceed 8.000 tons in any assumption.
- Whatever the purpose of their presence in the Black Sea, the warships of non-riparian states will not be able to stay in this sea for more than twenty-one days.
War 2 Zamsudden
- Savaş zamInstantly, Turkey is not belligerent, warships of the above-mentioned conditions, a full transition Straits and round-trip (transportation) shall enjoy freedom.
- Pass through the Straits of a hacked States and Turkey, linking a mutual assistance treaty battleships fought outside any State aid cases will be made in accordance with the ban.
The warships, which belong to states that are either riparian to the Black Sea or separated from the mooring ports, can cross the Bosphorus to go to their ports.
- Warring states are prohibited from attempting to seize any seizure in the Straits, exercising their right to control (visit) and any other hostile action.
- Savaş zamInstantly, while fighting Turkey, on the passage of warships it shall be expressed as the Turkish Government entirely.
- If Turkey counts on itself against the threat of a war so close to danger, Turkey will start implementing the transitional regime, but the state of war; The League of Nations Council measures taken by Turkey Turkey 3 2 does not often justify these measures will have to get back.
Montreux Straits Convention General Provisions
- Straits will be released unconditionally to the Republic of Turkey, will be given the right to make fortifications.
- The Turkish Government will keep an eye on the execution of every provision of the contract regarding the passage of warships through the Straits.
Termination Conditions of the Montreux Straits Convention
The duration of the contract will last 20 years, starting from the effective date. However, the principle of freedom of passage and round-trip (transportation), as confirmed in Article 1 of the contract, will have an infinite duration.
On 20 July 1956 the contract expired, the states that signed the contract attempted to amend the Montreux Straits Convention, but were not successful.
As stated in the International Maritime Law rules and termination conditions, compulsory fee will not be requested from any vessel passing through the Turkish Straits, even if the contract is changed due to the right of passengers (not transit) right of the ships.